6.08.2012

Hooker

I'm going to miss this good friend!! Our paths have crossed so many times throughout my life that I've lost track of the number. I taught some of his children. I worked with him in the old ER at Utah Valley when there were bar stools at the counter, and he let me do CPR for the first time on a real person... dead, but real. I helped him move the ER to the new building and saw many remodels after that. He shot my Achilles tendon full of cortizone on a Desert Practicum. We hiked down 6th Water on a dark and moonless night while he carried his daughter. I flew with him from Boulder, Utah to Escalante on an empty tank of gas. I never worried about flying with him because he had crashed so many times and survived that I knew he was an expert at it. I even flew with him over Boulder mountain as it was burning and saw how quickly a monstrous pine tree can be reduced to ashes. He got us all lost in the Burr desert one night when we were head instructors for a 30-day survival trip. I helped him drop flour, ice cream, and watermelons on wilderness groups.I worked for him at the EMS conferences for many years. He and my husband were on the Utahns on Everest Team. We introduced him and Nita to the Kipawa, and have shared many dinners together with that fun group of people. Yes, I'm going to miss my friend, Keith Hooker... a lot!!  Thanks for all the good memories - 'til we meet again...

No comments:

Christmas Countdown