Cooking: 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
1 can coconut milk (I used full fat)
2 egg yolks
1 t vanilla extract
1 T coconut oil
1 T coconut butter (not the same as the oil!)
3 really ripe bananas (almost black)
½ t cinnamon
- Whisk coconut milk, egg yolks, and vanilla together over medium heat. Stir constantly with whisk or wooden spoon until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small frying pan, heat the coconut oil and coconut butter over medium heat, and add slightly mashed bananas along with cinnamon. You’re just cooking long enough to let bananas start to caramelize somewhat.
- Pour the coconut milk and egg mixture into a food processor or blender along with the cooked bananas, and process until smooth and creamy.
- Empty contents into a bowl, and place a layer of plastic wrap directly on the surface. This will prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate to chill and serve topped with some sliced bananas!
Variation—This is actually really tasty served frozen—almost like a banana ice cream.
Ingredient Notes—Using bananas that haven’t yet ripened all the way will drastically take away from the flavor of this desert. Be sure to ask the clerk at your grocery store if they have any ripe ones in back. Most groceries don’t like keeping the dark ones out.
Tips & Tricks—To ripen bananas quickly, place them in a paper bag with either a tomato or apple. Seal the bag shut and you should be ripe within 24 hours.